Sunday, February 18, 2007

Ice Cream - Mint Chocolate Chip


I bought a new toy last week - an ice cream maker - while my first foray was a disaster this time it was much better, courtesy of http://veganicecream.blogspot.com/, I made mint chocolate chip ice cream vegan style. I've modified it a bit, and I think that I may venture into recipes in my bon appetite or go with the one dancing around in my head next time - as the flavours are good, but not quite there, you know?

1 c. Silk soy creamer
2 1/4 c. soy milk
1/2 c. sugar (the original calls for 3/4 - but that's too sweet for me)
1 1/2 T. tapioca powder
1 t. peppermint extract (the original calls for 1 1/2 - that's too strong for me - I was considering when mint is in season, steeping some in the milk - for a rounded flavour...)
1/2 t. vanilla extract
a few drops green food coloring (optional)
3/4 c. dark chocolate pieces - to cut the sweetness as well

Mix the 1/4c. soy milk and the tapioca together. Bring creamer, 2 cups of the soy milk and sugar to a boil, while mixing . Once the mix has boiled, off the heat add the tapioca, and then return to the heat while the mix thickens and returns to the boil. Take off the heat and add the extracts and coloring. Pour into a heat safe container and refrigerate. Since I'm using the Kitchen Aid attachment ice maker, I found that I had to chill the bowl longer than the recommended 24 hours as well as an hour before I used it I placed the chilled liquid into the freezer. The mix then set up in the estimated time about 20 minutes. The last time it took me three hours of taking the bowl in and out of the freezer to get it to a "pudding consistency" which we know is still no where near ice cream....

No comments: