Thursday, June 28, 2007

Asian "Glazed" Tofu


One of the most difficult aspects of being a vegan in a house of meateaters is finding recipes that lend themselves easily to being made with meat and without. I made this recipe about 5 years ago when I was babysitting my 3 year old cousin while my aunt did her night shifts - and thank goodness I was able to find it again. Modified from Chatelaine Magazine.

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 T sesame oil
1 T sweet chili sauce - sometimes refered to as sweet chili chicken sauce
1 tsp or less - sambal oelek (it's a very hot chili paste... if you don't have it and want similar heat add a whole (ie. uncut) thai chili to the sauce, with a little rice wine vinegar)
1 T tamari
1T or more warm water

Combine - marinate tofu and then bake in an open dish at about 400 degrees until syrupy. Serve over rice and whatever else you want.

No comments: