Friday, June 24, 2011

Food Friday - Makes a Return

Or so I hope.  I would like to be able to get things back to consistency.  Funny thing about consistency is it happens when I run. Running makes me organized, it is the magnet around which all other things align.

So on that note - it is not so much a recipe as it is a spice mix. I like homemade spice mixes because I being a creature of habit come back to similar flavors time and again. Northern Africa and the Middle East are areas I love for their complex flavor yet simple foods. I use this mix with lamb or beef to make meatballs/patties/burgers.  I have also just crumbled the seasoned meat and added to salads or on top of pizza.

Multiply as you will - and of course you can alter the ratios, if you are super keen and have two spice grinders consider toasting your cumin and coriander and then grinding it.

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp each cumin, coriander, paprika (not smoked) and chili flakes*
1/8 tsp each cloves** and turmeric

I normally multiply the recipe by 4 - when I do that I sometimes adjust the quantities slightly by not adding 1/2 tsp of cloves - and keeping it to 1/4 tsp at the most.  As for the chili flakes I like spice, obviously if you don't either reduce or omit.

I leave salt out because every dish is different - but feel free to add salt if you desire to your seasoning mix.

You also might want to consider this recipe for Ras El Hanout if you access to all the spices

Photo

No comments: