Friday, August 19, 2011

Food Friday

I do not often bake sweets for myself, being the only Celiac in the house it means that I'm the one eating what I make - and who really needs or wants an entire tray of brownies.  Maybe in theory that is a great idea - I'm not so sure.  However, my roommate and I do share a love for these homemade granola bars she makes - the great thing is you are free to vary the nut butter and sweetener. 

Recipe: 

4 cups GF rolled oats - you can substitute flake quinoa or millet if you prefer
1 cup ground flax or chia seeds
1/3 cup butter - vegan soy free is my preference, but you can use whatever works for you or even shortening
2/3 + 1/4 c honey (reserve the 1/4 c for the end).  Agave, Maple or Brown Rice Syrup would work just as well
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c add in - chocolate chips, dried fruit, seeds etc
1/2 c. nut butter of your choice - we prefer crunchy natural peanut butter
pinch of salt

Combine sugar, peanut butter, salt and butter.  Add in oats and flax seeds, then stir in honey and add ins.  Press into a 9 x 13 pan, drizzle with the reserved honey.  Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.  Slice into bars while still warm, but not hot from the oven.  Remove from pan once cool and refrigerate.

This recipe is just a template - you could use coconut oil and macadamia nut butter with coconut and dried pineapple, drizzled with dark chocolate.  Or changing the recipe could be as simple as adding a little vanilla extract or cinnamon.

No comments: