Thursday, February 15, 2007

Curry, Lentil and Coconut Soup

I woke up this morning feeling a little crummy and it got worse during the day - to the point where all I wanted was soup. And of course I searched all over Yaletown but there was no vegan soup in sight. So I started dreaming of this one since I've had versions of this soup, but never vegan of course. I modified this version, from the one posted on http://www.vegan-food.net/. I was sure better than the leftovers I had for lunch. After a bowl of this I am ready to watch Grey's with a bowl of homemade Vegan Icecream...

1/2T vegetable oil
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic - peeled
2 stocks of celery
1 large yam/sweet potato (the orange one)
2 large baking potatoes - ie. Russet
1 T MILD curry paste - the Indian style - I used Patak's Mild Curry paste
2/3 c. dry red lentils
1 L veggie or "chick'n" stock
1 14oz can of light coconut milk
2 T fresh coriander/cilantro - I used the whole bunch, but that's me
1/2 a lime - zested first then juiced
Ground pepper to taste

Prior to starting anything - diced the onion, celery and root vegetables. Then heat the oil over medium, toss in the onions and celery, allow to cook until soft about 5 minutes, then add the root vegetables, stir and continue to cook for about another 3-5 minutes. Then add the curry paste, the lentils and the stock, bring to a simmer and cook until everything is mushy, about 30-40 minutes. Add the coconut milk, lime zest, juice, pepper and cilantro and then blitz -using either a food processor, blender or hand held model - you want to maintain the texture but remove some of the lumps. Serve with more cilantro and pita or whole wheat warmed naan breads.

No comments: