Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Jam Doughnut Cupcakes/Muffins


Honestly I don't know what overcame me but I remembered a blog from the "Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World" blog - jelly doughnut cupcakes. No way, right? Well since they are still testing the recipe I started looking around and found one for vegan mini-doughnuts... the things vegans do in a kitchen. Well I'm not enough of a Martha to own a doughnut baking pan, so I doubled the recipe (it's basically a cupcake recipe) and added the jam, since I so heart jam, but never eat it because I don't eat toast, go figure. My dad wasn't impressed, said they needed glaze, my mom and me, well we like them. Fair warning these don't taste like Timmie's, and I know that we all have Timmie's in our blood, being Canadian, but well darn it I haven't had a doughnut since this past summer, nor will I for a long time, so let me have my cupcakes!

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup each whole wheat and regular pastry flour
1 cup sugar
3 tsp or 1T baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon and lemon zest (if you have it)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp vinegar - preferred apple cider
1 tsp vanilla
a drop of almond extract
2 egg replacers
1/2 cup margarine

Jam - your choice and icing sugar for dusting. I guess you could also bake them as is (without the jam) and then pipe in a pie filling or similar like product to give you the same idea.

Oven 350

Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside. In a saucepan, combine all the wet ingredients and melt - do not boil, only heat to the point where the margarine has melted. Combine wet into dry and spoon into cupcake papers/tins, dollop a tsp or less jam/jelly - your choice, and squish down with your finger.

Bake about 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean and then dust with icing sugar.

No comments: