Thursday, March 27, 2008

Darn it I want a camera!!!

There have been so many times in the last few days that I've wanted to go to the gym (so I don't have to worry about what I consume), but more so that I've wanted a camera - because well I don't think you'll believe I consume/create the following - but I guess if you are in doubt talk to Leaha as she has been witness to it all and even consumed some of it.

So I mentioned before I have to bake for Sunday night, and since I would like to snag a husband with my vegan baking at church they better be darn good. So I made a 1/2 batch of Vegan*Core's Snickerdoodle's and of course modified them - I mean why the hell not I do it for every other recipe when I should/shouldn't. Note this is the whole recipe - I made half of it

1 cup Earth Balance - softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp soy milk whipped with 2 tbsp cornstarch
3 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2T applesauce - I like soft cookies - she added tapioca

Coating
2 tbsp cinnamon
4 tbsp granulated white sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)

Oven - 350
Cream the margarine and sugar together until smooth. Add the vanilla, applesauce (if using) and the cornstarch/soymilk mixture, and beat until well-mixed In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir this into the wet ingredients and combine well. In a small/shallow bowl stir together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and cocoa powder (if desired).

Roll dough into balls of desired size - I did about 1T amount and then roll in sugar mix - place on parchment lined baking sheet, flatten with hand or glass. Bake 10-14 minutes depending on if you are a soft or crunchy cookie kind of person.

And because I don't eat cookies for dinner - I made Vegan Yum Yum's Sweet and Sour Tofu - I heart her - wow. No changes - just doubled the recipe for the sauce and I have to say that the egg replacer initial dredge is okay but it isn't crucial - I found just as much success with straight cornstarch. Since I don't have two frying pans I did the tofu first and then broiled it in the oven to get it good and dry while I stir-fried peppers, red onion and tossed in pineapple at the end like the Chinese food you would get with the MSG and all the other crazy things added too... and over brown rice... I think I need to start parading this food around my work and I'll have converts in no time at all.

No comments: