Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pie oh Glorious Pie

The holidays are hard regardless of where you are at food wise, you're dieting or vegan or vegetarian or GF or well the list can go on. I and my family have many years tried to graciously dance around my food preferences. This year I have just gotten to the point of trying to bridge the gap making "normal tasting" food for my family so that I don't have to fret about their hard work to help me out.

Gluten Free Goddess' pumpkin pie is amazing here are my changes - which I will say I am and am not happy with - the egg is great, the seasoning I'm not so sure yet I want to remain the same. But really it is fabulous during the holidays to eliminate the crust and as a result have a healthier pie and one that can be made ahead without an soggy crust issues.

In a food processor bowl or a large volume blender add:

1 14 or 15-oz can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups plain hemp milk or vanilla almond milk, or coconut milk
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla
2 tablespoons light olive oil 1 T of canola
1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer (used 2 eggs)
3/4 cup organic light brown sugar
1/2 cup Arrowhead Mills buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons tapioca starch/flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon or pie spice ( 2tsp cinnamon, 1/4-1/2 tsp each cardamon, ginger and cloves)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
zest and juice of 1/2 orange

Cover and process until smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl, if necessary to incorporate all of the dry ingredients.

Pour into the prepared pie plate and smooth evenly. Bake in the center of a preheated oven for about an hour until done. The pie should be firm (my emphasis because I took it out too soon and then had to rebake it - make sure it seems even a little over cooked, it might even crack it's fine- but still give a little when lightly touched. The center should not be wet. It will fall a bit as it cools.

Cool the pie on a wire rack completely. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until serving.


No comments: