Friday, March 04, 2011

Food Friday - Tomato Soup

I come across gluten in the strangest places and often it doesn't bother me, I just make a substitute or do without. However, there are times when making a substitute is not a cost saving option or even a really practical option as I cannot be forever running out to the store to buy groceries, and quite frankly neither can any of us normal folk. So what do you do when your tomato soup craving requires a truck load of groceries - most not in season, and oodles of time to replicate what you can pop a can for? You get creative. This does not taste perfectly like canned condensed soup of our youth, I wanted the texture more so than the taste, but it is similar. In theory you would have everything minus the V8 at home, and that can be purchased just about anywhere.

Make this a meal with a tuna sandwich or chicken quesadilla's made with leftover chicken

1/2 cup tomato paste (approximately a half can - I freeze the other half)
1/2 - 1 cup water*
1/2 cup chicken stock**
1 bottle V8 juice - original***
2T-4T ketchup
salt to taste
agave if needed

Combine the first 4 ingredients bring to a simmer, add 2T ketchup to start - taste, salt if needed and continue until you reach the sweetness you need.

*If you use tomato sauce you can omit the water, just double the sauce volume, you might still want to add water in the end
** Water can be substituted - I used stock because I had a 1/2cup frozen in my freezer
*** Yes V8 is GF

No comments: