Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Ginger "Snaps"


I had a day off today, and since I don't have my bus pass yet and it was one of those warm summer days, I thought why not spend the entire day in the kitchen, save for the 2 hours of chemistry tutoring I did in the middle of the chaos. With my mom out of town for the next month, I'm back to "mother" duty which namely includes cooking meat and cleaning. I'm hoping the gagging that ensued with the chicken prep today will end that quick and that these cookies can be used as leverage. These do not technically "snap," I prefer my cookies, chewy and soft.

3/4 cup veg. shortening or margarine
1 cup white sugar
1 egg replacer
2 T applesauce
1/2 cup "fancy" molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 T cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger (optional)

1 cup granulated sugar in a bowl/plate

Oven 350 - Time approx 10-15min per pan, depending on size and desired texture.

Cream marg/shortening and sugar on high for several minutes (don't be afraid to whip it good...). Add the egg replacer, applesauce and molasses. Once well combined, add the dry ingredients which have been sifted together. This can be done simply by placing a fine colander over a bowl, or using a whisk to stir all the components together, ensuring there are no lumps. Mix together on low, until all the dry is combined, but no longer. Add the ginger by hand if doing so. Using a cookie scoop, spoon or your hands, portion out the desired size, roll into a ball and roll in sugar. Flatten gently once on the pan.

No comments: