Monday, June 21, 2010

Heirloom Tomato Salad and Health

In the last weekend I've come down with a cold. While I would rather not be sick, I will say that there is a small comfort in this illness. It hasn't completely wiped me out, flat on my butt. I have had three legitimate days of fighting it and today I have decided to stay home and give my body one good day uninterrupted to fight it. Now you might think that is a set back in the diet, lifestyle and medicinal changes I have taken. For me it is an indication of the slow progress forward into rebuilding my health and physical well being. But enough of that.

Heirloom tomatoes are amazing, not only in their range of colours but in their flavour. I am aware that they are pricey and you might not think they are worth it. They are pricey because they are hard to grow and hard to ship, which means they are local and un-altered. It doesn't mean they are organic but it does mean they don't come from the those hybrid plants that have been modified to produce endless amounts of flavourless red balls. That is reason enough to buy them...

I have made versions of this salad but this is the one I prefer - feel free to add feta or another cheese of your dietary preference.

A variety of heirlooms sliced or quartered
Organic coloured cherry type tomatoes - I normally buy these to stretch the recipe
Basil - sliced in chiffonade
Salt
Pepper
Balsamic vinegar
Olive Oil (0ptional)

I normally just plate the tomatoes, sprinkle with the basil, salt and pepper and drizzle with the vinegar and olive oil. The photo is a tossed version.

No comments: