Thursday, July 29, 2010

"The" Bean Salad

It appears that my "in desperation" bean salad has become a favorite around the BBQ season circuit. So while there is no picture at the moment I'm going to still post the recipe. The quantity and ingredients of course, as stated time and again are always changeable, because we are all not the same. I tend to make a batch which feeds me for 4-6 meals and change what I serve it with or add to it each time - green beans one day, corn the next.

1 can White Beans (ie. Great Northern beans, cannellini or any variations) - drained and rinsed
1/4 bulb of fennel thinly sliced - about a 1/3 cup (or a handful)
1-3 T finely diced red onion or thinly sliced - your choice
1-3T finely chopped Italian parsley

Additions:

Cucumber - quartered and then chopped into 1/2 inch slices
Roasted/Cooked corn - removed from the cob
Radishes
Carrots
Blanched green or yellow beans

Dressing: - I always eyeball my dressing for a 2:1 ration of vinegar to oil or even 3:1 - the reverse of a traditional vinaigrette

Apple cider vinegar
Olive Oil or Canola
Agave
Salt
Pepper

You can free mix over the salad or in a separate bowl - remember the salad will get better the longer you leave it.

Serve with salmon or whatever comes off your bbq.

No comments: