Friday, June 04, 2010

Homemade Ricotta

For those of us DF/SF people out there you might find you are in this weird dairy black hole of sorts. Other than the nut cheeses and feta there is very little in the way of readily available cheese options. Until now that is - I give you goat milk ricotta cheese! If you are a recipe website surfer like I am this is likely not a new concept - you can follow the instructions at either Serious Eats NYC or Eggs on Sunday. I will say that this is an expensive recipe (1L of goat milk is about $4 here) and while it's dead easy do not squeeze your cheese dry - let it have its moisture, it will make it a lot easier to deal with in the future, even if you don't want it to be really moist.

Below are the pictures of the initial process. I used the ricotta in a Lemon Ricotta muffin recipe in my attempt to replicate the WF version - those while they are in my freezer at this moment, they really did not turn out.



No comments: