Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Inspired...

I believe this recipe originated from Vegetarian Times, though I cannot be certain. I will say I did not come up with this idea on my own. It is no secret around these parts that I have a soft spot for a Vietnamese and Thai food. So this recipe reflects my fusion-like take on that. While I have rice paper rolls on hand using butter lettuce leaves is a quicker, less fussy, less "white" option. By white I mean tone not culture. I don't particularly like looking at a meal that has a lot of white in it as it doesn't make me feel at all safe - food should not be white.

To make this meal consider incorporating:
Rice noodles - cooked
Julienned cucumber, peppers, carrots, scallions, bean sprouts
Mint, thai basil, cilantro - whole or chiffonade
Protein of your choice - I barbequed steak and thinly sliced it
Chopped peanuts
Butter lettuce leaves

Dressing:
Juice and zest of a organic lime
2 T natural peanut butter
chili or chili flakes
Fish sauce or a salt component of your choice - if you can have soy, use soy sauce
Agave or brown sugar
Hot water - yes I thin my dressing down with a little hot water, I find that it works just as well, rather than adding more oil, though you are free to add oil.

No comments: