Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Roasted Beet Salad


Roasting beets is really quite simple once you get past the peeling part. So if you are at all worried about the peeling part pick golden or "candy-cane" beets, they are less likely to turn your hands a wonderful shade of magenta. Once peeled, place in foil and drizzle with olive oil. I normally place my foil package into a larger vessel to avoid any leakages in the oven and minimize the risk of burning the bottom.

Once roasted they can be used in just about everything - however, this time I combined them with barbecued chicken breast, arugula and some crumble goat's milk blue cheese. If I had walnuts at home I would have added them too. Dress the mixture with a light dressing of white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and a little agave to round out the tartness. If you are using a milder cheese, like a soft goat you could really do anything with the dressing.

I added a little gluten free baguette to finish off the meal from a baker on Salt Spring Island.



No comments: